Wednesday, April 13, 2005

When Life Gives You Lemons: Or How to Make Tequila Shots

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to many of my coworkers after my elevator incident:
*****************************************************************************


Dear friends and colleagues,
I am writing to warn you of a potential hazard of working at [my office]. While leaving the building yesterday evening, I became trapped in elevator Number 2. I don't know what happened, but somewhere around the 2nd floor the car just stopped. I panicked, pushed all buttons frantically and finally pressed the "Call" button, where a very nice young man answered the phone on the other end and helped calm me down. Before hanging up, he told me to call back in 3-5 minutes after he called the fire rescue unit, the elevator engineer, and security. When I did, he assured me that someone would come and get me: in about an hour. So here are a couple of things you should keep in mind while trapped in an elevator:
1) It's good to have a cellphone. I called my manager hoping she would appreciate the hilarity of the situation, but she did not pick up. I called my mom, and she laughed at me but kept me company. To that end, if you have Verizon, you can still achieve decent service.
2) Make sure you are well-groomed that day. I happened to have two very handsome firemen rescue me in about 30 minutes.
3) Do not try to make jokes with the man on the other side of the call button. He is your only lifeline besides the cellphone. He at some point asked me if he could get me anything. I laughed and asked for Subway and a diet coke.
4) Make sure you do not have any after-work plans. I just barely made it to Whole Foods as they were closing.
And most importantly, #5:
Ever hear anyone tell you not to jump up and down in an elevator because it might get you trapped? Completely true. Let's just say I was ecstatic to be leaving work "early" at 8:30pm. Lesson learned.
Well, I hope we all learned something here. Have a great day and PLEASE...take the stairs.
Best,
The (un)graceful One

No comments: